Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Many people in America recognize today as the start of summer. However, this day is set aside as a federal holiday to remember those who have died in military service.
The approximate number of Americans who died in recent wars are
116,000 WWI (1917-18)
405,000 WWII (1941-45)
54,000 Korean War (1950-53)
90,000 Vietnam War (1964-75)
2,000 Gulf War (Aug 1990-Feb 91 )
4,000 Iraq (2003-present)

My grandparents served in WWII. I'm alive because they lived. I thanked my dad today for his service in Vietnam. Again, I praise God that I'm alive because he survived.
Grandpa Ahart, my Dad, and baby John

As we prepare to see a Space Shuttle launch this week I am reminded of the astronauts who died and I pray for those who currently serve. Gus Grissom, an astronaut from Indiana, said, "If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life." We have been to his memorial which is just inside the entrance to Spring Mill State Park in Southern Indiana.

With the Lilly grant to travel to Kennedy Space Center, I was also able to get some books. One that I would recommend about Gus Grissom, written by the Indiana Historical Society, can be found by clicking the picture of the book.

It is good of America to set aside a holiday to remember those who have died for us. I'm grateful to God that He has set aside one day every week for a holiday to remember the One who died in my stead as a substitutionary atonement for the sins of His people.

1 comment:

Michael L. said...

Great to see the new blog, Sean!!! Thanks for giving me the link.