Friday, June 6, 2008

Learning to swim

Well, they say you have to learn to crawl before you can walk. You grow or advance by steps. Sometimes the steps are fast and are referred to as spurts. From the Book of Psalms for Singing, Psalm 84B (v.7) begins "Advancing still from strength to strength..." 2 Peter 1 also explains the process of growth: "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

We are getting close to finishing our first full week here at Cape Canaveral. I don't exactly remember the story about when I learned to swim. (If my mom or another relative read this blog, perhaps they'll leave a comment to remind me.) I do know I learned to water ski during week long vacation visits to Hot Springs, Arkansas.

My children have learned a lot about space exploration this week. Before we could go to the moon, we had to master sending someone up in orbit with the Mercury capsule. The Gemini program proved we could do space walks and rendezvous while in orbit. This set the stage for Apollo 8 journey to the moon and Apollo 11 landing on the moon.

My family has spent time every day either in the ocean or in the pool. Most days we've done both. Several times we have gone out in the morning and the evening. This has resulted in a reasonable level of comfort around water. The older ones are building their swimming confidence, the younger children are learning how to swim even without the security of a 'circle' (granted they are more of a torus shape).

Other things that happened today: I taught our 8 year-old how to play shuffleboard. While I was playing and passing on what my grandfather taught me, a camp counselor asked if she could bring over the recreational center's day campers to watch and learn. When they came over we gave a little demonstration clinic.


On the walk back home we discovered that the public library was on the next block over from the rec center. Their summer reading program begins on Monday. We'll have to check that out.

Today was my first visit to the Kennedy Space Center without any familial accompaniment. I went there hoping to take a 3 hour tour, but found out that tour won't be offered until after the Delta II carrying GLAST is launched (It is schedule for Wednesday). There were so many things I wanted to do at the Visitor Center that I didn't mind so much. I took my time and read the signs and explored areas I didn't even know were there. I'm looking forward to another launch and some of the in depth tours.

Wow, that was a great first week! For more pictures, check out the slide show.

No comments: